Saturday 3 November 2007

Where has my inner radical gone?

I was going to talk about Jean Charles de Menezes yesterday, but I didn't really know what to say apart from I was disappointed at the government's reaction to the results of the inquiry.

Instead I went to watch the Fireworks at Streatham Common last night, it was quite a fun display but I found myself wondering at my own safety.

Not that I felt threatened, despite the sign asking for help in a shooting incident on the way there, in fact that was exactly the point I felt incredibly safe.

I remembered the accusation levelled at the British Muslims in Britz on Thursday night, that they were safe whilst their brothers and sisters were dying in other parts of the world.

I'm not a Muslim, but that's not to say that I can't also feel guilty about my cosy existence.

It's been a while since I've even been to a political demo, the last one I was at was a Pro Choice rally and I missed the one about Burma.

I feel distinctly inactive and I don't like it.

It feels as if I am accepting what is going on in the world at the moment and that is far from the case.

I joined the students against the war group at freshers' Fair but they haven't been in touch and they were the only campaigning group on campus it seemed.

Where was the Amnesty group?

I'm sick of just signing the odd petition I want to feel as if I'm really doing something.

But there isn't to my mind a party that I can join, they all seem to be selling the same stuff.

If you can think of a good one let me know.

No comments: