Monday 28 April 2008

Everyone's getting married...

My extended circle of friends appear to be getting hitched on mass.

I'm going to do my best not to make this a tirade, I mean it's lovely that they've found someone that they want to spend the rest of their life with, but I must confess to finding it a little strange.

I guess it's because I'm far from the point where I could consider settling down for such a committed relationship.

I don't think that makes me that strange though, I mean I'm only 26.

However on making the observation that a lot of people seemed to be getting married to an old school, let's say, acquaintance at his birthday he asked whether I felt like I was withering on the vine.

Ok he was probably joking in his own strange way, but I felt rather indignant as I answered no rather emphatically.

I then pointed out that he was my age too and didn't seem to be preparing for marriage, to which he replied that he had already withered.

What?

Why is this conversation even remotely acceptable...

Is that the word?

Words fail me.

What worries me more is that comments and conversations like this are going to be getting increasingly common.

Ok I have a hard core of friends who I can rely on, except perhaps in their darkest weakest self doubting moments, not to talk such rubbish.

But what about the rest?

Am I to expect a torrent of ear bashings about the state of my singledom?

This is madness.

Such behaviour should be out lawed it's ridiculous.

But now I'm feeling worryingly like Bridget Jones, but even then she was a fair bit older than me and she actually bought into some of this crap.

Eugh!

No wonder I decided on a feminist theme for my magazine concept.

1 comment:

mp77 said...

Amen sister! Just having an, "Everyone is getting married..." moment myself. So silly we should compare ourselves with them. Good for them and good for us. I mean, gosh! I'm only 27. Frankly, I'm happy to be where I am in life, even if it is single ;)