Wednesday 24 October 2007

Feeling humble

I'm going to regret sharing this with you (the expansive unknown), but I feel compelled to do so.

I confessed my ignorance about the details of the Darfur genocide today in the pub (in the brief time that I was there).

Why so ignorant?

Well, I have been making the conscious decision of late to avoid articles about Darfur on the basis that it was just too depressing.

However after my ticking off at the pub I was forced to re-assess my attitude.

What if I was to transfer my thinking a couple of decades into the past..?

"Oh I don't know anything about the Holocaust it's just too depressing."

When in Malaysia visiting a friend of mine we were both flabbergasted that an acquaintance of hers knew nothing, and I mean nothing, about the Israel/Palestine issue.

I realise that I have unwittingly become that girl.

I think I'll be blushing, behind the Guardian, for a month.

On the way home I read an article about Darfur.

There is to be a cessation of hostilities.

So it’s safe to read about it again...

Sorry, I'm in danger of having learned nothing.

In case you have also been remiss in your attention to this issue here's a good site to get you up to speed.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Hehe good to know you're a reformed character young lady. Think I may just check out that link now..