Thursday 10 February 2011

127 hours of absorption

I imagine a lot of you out there will have heard of 127 hours by now.

Unfortunately all you may have heard is: "I had my knees up to my chin, it was horrifying."

I think that is a shame for such a well crafted, moving and insightful film.

Danny Boyle has to be up there with my most loved film directors, I'm not sure I've ever seen him make a film that puts a foot wrong.

The plot

127 hours essentially focusses on the true story of one man getting stuck down a canyon and having eventually to go to extreme lengths to survive.

But that makes this film sound grim and interminable.

In fact it is the most gripping, absorbing and hopeful piece of storytelling that I have seen in a long time.

The character portrayal is well rounded and infinitely believable.

And yes there are some fist biting moments, but there is also a lot of complex emotions played out on screen and felt as an audience member.

Final word

Both Danny Boyle and James Franco should be given awards for this film.

Between a Rock and a Hard Place is the next book to be added to my reading list.

No comments: