Tuesday 16 November 2010

Rocking Montague

Out for another deliciously fun gig night this weekend.

Looks like I'm making a habit of this.

Turned up chiefly to listen to Chekhov's Rifle play, for the...

No wait, I can't actually remember how many times I've seen them.

Let's just say it was the latest of many.

Chekhov's line-up is now all male, after the female bass player was baby-capacitated.

They deliver a tight and rousing set, with a 'new song', oo er.

The set is not even spoilt by a dropped and swiftly recovered drumstick, not a beat missed.

Great jiggly fun, with lyrics to leave you baffled.

They are followed by Tim Ten Yen.

I'm always a bit suspicious of a man with a tiny Casio keyboard.

In this case it can be easily forgiven.

This was a shits and giggles set with all the gusto I have come to expect from performance poet Richard Tyrone Jones.

Prancing about the stage he sang beautifully over an iPod and had most of the audience in stitches.

“I have an enemy a sea anemone.”

And a song about a cat looking out across the dance floor.

After all this I was well revved up for the last act, who during the sound check had moved through three instruments.

What a disappointment!

Mainly covers and not inspirational ones, I'd like to say more about the set but in truth I walked to the back of the bar after a couple of songs to chat in peace.

He was musically proficient, but, well, dull.

At least The Montague Arms is a lovely place to have and a drink if the bands don't pass muster.

An eccentric pub, meets ship, meets taxidermist, with bar staff who probably need hearing aids.

It's great.

No comments: