Friday 19 November 2010

Democracy vs the monarchy

Breaking news: pro-democracy figure released after years of house arrest; couple in the UK announce their engagement.

Last saturday I wandered downstairs to receive the news that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest after ten years of house arrest.

It raised a tired smile from my lips, which did no justice to the weight and beauty of this news; so I can perhaps forgive David Cameroon for his painfully understated "well overdue" comment.

Aung San Suu Kyi is one of the future modern day political figures that truly makes my heart swell.

She is a hero almost beyond measure in my eyes.

And this is only heightened by the fact she is a woman.

So imagine my dismay that in the following days instead of being inundated with news about the hopes and developments in Burma's new 'democracy', I hear on the hour every hour about the engagement of a little known UK couple: their called William and Kate, oh, did I mention that he is the third in line to the throne of our, er, 'democracy'.

No comments: