Friday 13 June 2008

he loves me, he loves me not

Someone gave me the french film he loves me, he loves me not a while ago and I've only just got round to watching it.

You lucky people you are spared my usual rant and you'll be getting more of a film review.

Saying that I'm not entirely sure what to say about this film...

It's beautifully shot, much like Amelie another Audrey Tautou film.

I liked it, but I wasn't blown away.

Perhaps because I didn't really know what to feel throughout, which is odd given it's a film about emotion, love - all be it obsessive love.

Tautou plays Angelique a talented art student who is in love with a cardiologist called Loic (Samuel Le Bihan), who is married with a child on the way.

The film plays out the story of her obsession rather tenderly and Tautou plays the insanity very well.

My main preoccupation throughout the film was the handsome medical student who loves Angelique, wondering why on earth she would obsess about a rather plain fair haired man over a younger, handsome guy who is devoted to her.

Still there is no accounting for people's hearts I suppose, or rather their brains, I doubt an organ that is little more than a pump has much to do with it.

The film explores the power of our emotions and how they drive us to do awful and frightening things.

The ending is poignant and perhaps a little disturbing, but I oddly ended the film feeling happy.

I can't really say anymore about why I felt this without ruining the film.

I might watch it again to show to someone who hadn't seen it and I'd recommend it, but not too highly, it isn't a classic.

No comments: